Monday, August 5, 2013

Unplugged


I had been feeling tired, burned out and emotionally exhausted for a while.  I love working on the prayer group I started a while back, I love that Facebook allows me to interact with others who I would normally never get to see again.  I do not love the drama that goes with Facebook.

So I decided I would spend all of July unplugged from Social Media.  No Facebook, MyAutismTeam, or Twitter.  My husband laughed and didn't think I could do it.  So I logged out of Facebook on the desktop, my Kindle, and my phone and started July 1st.  What I found is I like being unplugged.  I prefer to have quieter evenings.  I even cut out a lot of our TV watching, those who know me, know that is huge.  TV was cheap entertainment when I was growing up and we just didn't have the money to go out and do things like other families, but we could pop popcorn, put on jammies, cuddle up and watch a movie at home. 

I enjoyed a quiet house.  AND I was able to focus more on my walk with Christ.  He had some things he laid on my heart and some things to say to me.  I also had the joy of playing Uno with Chris and the girls which included many giggles and guffaws.  We attended the Everett 4th of July parade, we took road trips, we went to the library and I discovered OverDrive which allows me to download books I borrow from the Everett Library and I can read some or borrow audio books.  It has been fun and restful. 

In taking a hiatus, I discovered I don't miss Social Media.  I will still keep my accounts open, but I know I won't be as active as I used to be.  The prayer group will still go on, I will still continue to lead in prayer as the Lord leads, but I also know I need to spend more time focusing on the girls. 
Beka is a smart little cookie.  I discovered she is at a third grade reading level and knows her Dolch Sight Words to that point.  I also got to listen to Lizzie read for me some more, she has come far from the little girl who I was contemplating holding back from 4th grade until she learned to read.  But I also discovered we need to be more challenging. 

My house is cleaner, my girls are happier and so is Chris and honestly, I am more at rest than I've been for a while.  It's lovely. 

Have a good week.
In Christ,
Maureen

1 comment:

Launna said...

Hi Maureen, it is nice to see you back blogging. I have unplugged from social media a few times, it really does feel great. Once for 30 days and another for 45 days. Although I love being connected, I also feel it is imperative to take a break and see what is around us regularly :)