Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Sense in the Senseless

There is no rhyme or reason anymore. . .
We struggle to understand how someone could harm small children, we weep with families who are facing sudden, unexpected loss and yet in the midst of this, we hear stories of heroism. 
We hear about teachers who blocked bathroom doors as best they could and helped their students stay calm and quiet and then were able to reunite them with their parents. 

There is no rhyme or reason, no answers... at least none that will satisfy our hearts and minds. 
Gun control?  Maybe, but to what extent.  Better mental health services so parents who have children in need of help have more options, that don't include jail or juvenile hall?  ABSOLUTELY!  Autism restrictions - NO!  This sad, hurting young man was mentally ill and in need of our help, not our condemnation.  He leaves behind a father and brother both struggling to figure out how to help and how to live with the aftermath he left behind.  He leaves behind more questions than answers and a nation reeling with shock that someone could possibly hurt children and those who had nothing to do with his problems.

I don't want to fight, I don't want to point fingers, there are no winners in these debates.  I do believe we need more mental health care facilities, and they need to be created to be more affordable.  Do I believe that Autism means violence?  Not in every case, I think there were factors going on that may have played a part.  I know several families who have children with Asperger's, some of whom struggle to control their anger and one whose son I can see doing something like this because he has no impulse control and often retaliates against his siblings.   But in the end, no matter what the reason was for this tragedy it happened.  Answers will not bring back those lost, nor will they really offer comfort to the families struggling.

No rhyme, no reason, only questions and empty answers remain.  So I snuggle my girls a little tighter and thank God I home school them.  I offer up extra prayer for those grieving the lost children and adults in Connecticut.  But it all seems hollow and inadequate. 

Have a good week,
In Christ,
Maureen

1 comment:

Launna said...

There are no set answers on why or how this happened, I pray for these families that have had to deal with such horrific circumstances.