Sunday, November 4, 2012

Single Parent Homes Equal Deprived?!

A woman asked about any other mom's doing the single parent thing who had children with severe illnesses today.  It's a good question, can you do it?  Absolutely, I know several single mom's whose children face Biliary Atresia or Autism and other health concerns who are have little to no support from the other parent. 

I grew up in a single parent home.  We didn't always have the money to do the stuff everyone else did, but we had a mom who would have done anything for us and would fight to the death to keep us safe.  Okay so Christmas wasn't a grand, financially extravagant vacation for most of my years, but it was for my brother and sister for several years when Mom was teaching, until health concerns made it too difficult for her to continue.  And you know what, I am more grateful and well balanced than my siblings.  I grew up understanding that we don't always get what we want from life without working hard.  While I spent my teen years babysitting to pay for what I wanted to do with our youth group or school activities, Matt and Meg didn't do this.  Instead they chose to gripe, and moan about how we were broke. 

I learned that hard work and determination will take you far.  Matthew has a great work ethic, because he realized Mom wasn't going back to teaching full time and he had to buy what he wanted himself.  However, Mom did do this.  She was home everyday when we got home.  If we were sick, even though we didn't have health insurance she made sure we went to the doctor - she kept how bad off we were from us as long as possible.  She also made sure we were able to enjoy the little things.

Christmas while not rich in gifts was rich with family, good cooking and memories I will carry with me for a long time to come.  I spent years taking piano lessons and I even got to study voice in college, which Mom encouraged me to do.  I may not have had the latest trends in clothing, but I had something better, clothes made with love by my mom and my Grandmother.  I still cherish and refuse to share the quilt my Grandma Taylor made, because it is made from snippets of clothing she made for my family over the years.  Swatches from Matthews jam shorts, Mom's dresses so she would look nice for work when she finished her Master's Degree in Chapter One Reading, Christmas dresses for Meg and I.  Those are memories that no amount of money will ever replace.

Would it have been a little easier to grow up in a house with two parents?  Absolutely, but we didn't and what we may have lacked in money, my mom more than made up for in love.

If that makes me deprived, then so be it, but I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Have a good week.
In Christ,
Maureen

1 comment:

lettersfromlaunna said...

I love how grateful you are Maureen:)