Sunday, October 28, 2012

Discipline. BLEH!


I have started doing a parenting devotional each day thanks to YouVersion's Bible app on my cellphone.  I really like it a lot.  I am learning and refreshing some lessons I think I may have become too complacent on.

One of those things is follow through.  So after feeling convicted I have started cracking down on the girls.  Now Elizabeth knows if Mommy tells her something it's a good idea to listen.  Rebekah though is five years old so she's still learning.  And that means that today I am the mean, mean mommy. 

Discipline is important.  The Bible tells us this in several places and God disciplined the Israelites.  He also showed them grace and mercy until he realized they were never, ever going to listen unless he proved he meant what he said, hence the exile into Babylon. 

Even now, I hate hearing the girls cry, even if they are crying because I have had to ground them, or swat their tushies.  And yes, Sarah I even hated hearing you cry.  In fact, there were a lot of times I would have to ground Sarah, she would go to her room and cry and my heart was torn.  On one hand, she was being rude and disrespectful, so punishment was needed, but she's my daughter and I love her.  I hate seeing her upset.  And yet, I have to discipline the girls, not because I'm mean, but because I love them and want them to grow up and stay out of prison and also understand that rules are important.    But even more importantly, I want them to grow up to be love God and to live by what he asks of us.    If my girls can't listen and obey Chris and I, then how can I expect them to obey and listen to God when they grow up? 

Do you have an area where God is speaking to you about your parenting?  Do you find yourself struggling to maintain order and structure at home?  I know some days we struggle to the point where Chris gets involved and that is never a pretty picture.   Although, he is excellent about making sure after he punishes them that they know that he loves them, but they have to obey.

I hope you all have a great week.
In Christ,
Maureen

No comments: