Friday, July 6, 2012

Vacation?

For years I have considered taking a vacation.  Chris has gone off on Army exercises, which isn't quite the same as a vacation, because he is sleep deprived and exhausted when he gets back.  It's not a typical vacation - it's a vacation for one.  Chris has even contemplated sending me, and I took him with me.  And then I realized something.

I haven't been alone in so long, the idea of leaving Chris and the girls is kind of scary.  I have been some one's mom and wife for almost 12 years and I don't know how to be someone else anymore.  This is not a bad thing, except I get burned out and frustrated.  I'm sure it is equally frustrating for Chris as well - he knows I am stressed, burned out and frustrated (at that moment in time) and wants to send me on a getaway, but it never quite happens.  Not from lack of trying on his part either. 

It isn't even that expensive.  I could go to Arizona and see my best friend Jaymi, or Massachusetts and see my friend Maureen, but I realized today that I somehow end up sabotaging it, because what will I do with the alone time?  The girls did Camp Fire this year and I had two hours in the apartment alone - it was weird and very quiet.  I found I didn't really know what to do with myself. 

If you could take a vacation where would you go?  Would you go alone?  What would you do with your free time?  I am open to suggestions - because I am out of ideas.  I think I need to figure something out soon.  If for no other reason so I don't lose my imagination.

Have a good week.
In Christ,
Maureen

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Most vacations I take I come back needing a vacation from the vacation! If I could go alone, hmmm... I would probably go and visit my parents, and just be their kid again. Or I would go and sit on a beach somewhere warm and watch the awesomeness of the waves. Or I would send my family away and just stay home and not have to cook or fix any ones problems.

3Monkeysmom said...

Sounds like a good plan to me! I thought maybe the Bahamas sounded nice. It would be fun, to sit and relax - heck I'd settle for California, but the smog in LA would trigger my asthma - Hawaii?! I like that idea too. :D