Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Standing in the Gap


All little girls who have their dads around go through a phase where they are all about their Daddy.  Beka is coming out of her phase and for now, she's all about Mommy, but it will go back the other way soon enough.  I went through it as well and I'm sure Meg would have gone through it too if Daddy had been alive when she was born (my mom was pregnant with her when our dad was taken from us suddenly). 

Growing up after my dad's death was not easy.  Especially as I got older and you would have thought being in a large church that a the men would have stood in the gap for my siblings and myself, but with two exceptions that wasn't the case.  There was two men who really did what they could to stand in the gap.  One has been gone for 20 years, the late Robert Moore.  The other - the man in the picture above, George Miller.

George and Nancy had known my parents because we all attended the Southwest Oklahoma District Camp Meeting at the same time.  He and Dad are really kind of cut from the same cloth, both total hams.  After Dad died, whenever we would go to camp George made sure he got to see us and say hello.  This man went to children's camp, youth camp, and while we didn't get to see each other as regularly as we would have liked, he made sure he always said hello.   And while it was nice that Grandpa Moore was there, it was somehow more special with Uncle George because he knew my Dad. 

Thanks to Facebook I don't have to wait every four years or 10 years to see him these days.  We get to have random conversations on Facebook and tease each other at times.  He was awesome when Chris was deployed and the Solomon Islands are richer for having him and Aunt Nancy as missionaries there. 

I just wanted to say, "Thank you Uncle George.  It means more than you will ever know to this Oklahoma girl." 


Here is the question I want to ask:  Why are there so few men willing to stand in the gap?  Why are there so few women willing to let their husbands be the man who is the father to the fatherless?  As a girl who grew up without a father, I can assure you, if you allow your husbands to be that man and encourage him, it can make a HUGE difference.  There were men in our church, men who were nice, but for whatever reason their wives were scared that Mom was after their husbands.  While my mom may have been raising us alone it would have been nice for a few more men to come and stand in the gap for Matthew and Meg.   I think they paid the biggest price.  I remembered my dad, but Matt and Meg didn't remember anything.  Matthew was a little over 18 months old when Dad died, Meg was in utero - they needed men to be a father to them. 

Please men and women of faith, step up to the plate.  Be the Grandpa Moore's, Uncle Georges and now my husband who stand in the gap.  We need strong men and women of faith to be for young people what their own parents can't or sometimes won't be for them. 

Have a good week.
In Christ,
Maureen

2 comments:

lettersfromlaunna said...

Maureen, I agree with you... it's too bad more men wouldn't stand up and be there for the fatherless children. I was 18 when I had my first daughter and I raised her as a single mother, my second daughter I was married, no raising her single again. I think both my children who are beyond amazing could always have had someone help out in the father department by making them feel special and wanted.

George said...

Maureen, that was so nice to say. I loved being there for you, but I didn't see you often enough. It takes a special child too to warm up to someone who they are not related to and do not see too often. Thank you for allowing me to be an uncle to you. And for even sharing with me even now.

Sorry I did not read this quickly as I was (am) busy teaching BC classes.

I love you dear and want you to know my prayers and support are with you. Uncle George