Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Becoming a Skeptic?

It sneaks up on you subtly.  You don't even realize it's happening.  Suddenly you wake up one day and you realize you've become a skeptic.  When did this happen?  What on Earth?  When did it stop occurring to me that God can send people to you who will help pay for things when you need them?

A kind woman on MyAutismTeam.com has offered to pay for Elizabeth's eye therapy.  This is so we wouldn't have to go through eye surgery.  Those who read faithfully know I am nervous about the idea of surgery.  Again it's not the 70 percent success rate that worries me, it's the 30 percent rate of need for further surgery that concerns me.   And a kind woman has offered to pay for vision therapy. 

As I read her offer, I was flooded with an emotion I didn't know how to process. . . I was skeptical.  My first thoughts?  What's the catch?  Do I know this person well enough to allow them to help us out like this?    Logically I've grown up knowing God provides for our needs.  I've even seen him do it recently, but it has never been on something of this magnitude.  Vision therapy is very expensive, and while I am pretty sure Lizzie wouldn't require years and years of therapy, I find myself still struggling to accept that there are people who do kind things just to do them. 

Ironically, enough I know I would do the same thing for someone, in a heartbeat with no questions asked.  And yet, it is so rare that I meet people who share that sentiment.  I've gotten accustomed to being the odd duck and doing things outside the norm.  Now I'm on the receiving end and I realize how those who I have helped randomly must have felt - disoriented, out of sorts and confused.  We live in a world where very few people do random acts of kindness just because.  It's more of a dog eat dog world these days, and I see this especially in our apartment complex.   I get it now.  The confused looks I get when someone needs help or how people are so reluctant to allow Chris or I to help them. 

So I am praying it over with my husband and we will talk it over.  Prayer being foremost in our minds, and asking God what He thinks is best for Elizabeth.  He might say surgery, he might say, I sent this person to offer help, take the help. 

But to that person, thank you for being willing to help.  Now for us to pray.

Have a good week.
In Christ,
Maureen

2 comments:

dcot said...

Thank you SO much for sharing this story with us!!! God works in the most mysterious ways and always at the perfect time. Just when we're at the end of our ropes He comes through. If He's opened this door for you, trust in Him... there were less chances of someone paying for the surgery than the chances of your little one needing follow-up surgery, right? "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding" Prov. 3:5
Blessings!

lettersfromlaunna said...

I have had so many people step up and offer me what I need over the years and I have been incredibly grateful, I always pay it forward whenever I can. You are right people are skeptical but I do it because I want to, it sounds like this woman wants to help you. It's a great idea to pray though:)