Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Parallels

I am reading Jeremiah these days for my devotion time.  I also make sure I share it on Twitter - so having my Bible on my smart phone, is amazing.  It keeps me accountable, but it also means I make sure I spend my time in the Word each and every day because there is always the possibility that someone will stumble across God's word and it will take seed in their hearts.  But I digress.

Jeremiah was a prophet during an incredibly troubling time in Israel's history.  The children of Israel - God's Chosen were not living their lives as they should.  Not by a long shot - they were worshipping idols, living their lives outside of God's will and His Commandments.  Worse, the Rabbi's were just as guilty and there were many prophets among the children who were not speaking God's truth. 

As I read this, I find that I see a lot of parallels between what God's children were choosing to do and what we as Americans choose to do these days.  We have idols that we have placed above God.  We listen to false prophets who speak out saying, "It's okay, God is with you."  This is definitely true in our lives today.  We live in a society of if it feels good do it.  I have heard numerous times "My God is a loving God."  And to some extent that isn't wrong - God is a loving God.   He loves us so much he sent Jesus to die for us, but it doesn't mean that we don't have to face consequences. 

As I get older, I worry.  I worry about my daughters growing up and believing the lies the world is selling.  I worry that what life is bringing to them will only be heartache and sorrow.  So much of what we see today is against what God's will is for us.  So much of it is sin.  Does that mean God doesn't love us?  NO!  God loves us regardless of if we are sinners or not.  Jesus ate with sinners and tax collectors, but that doesn't mean He doesn't see when we willfully disobey him.  It doesn't mean we won't suffer the wages of our sin.   Does that mean we are all condemned to Hell?  No, we are promised in 1 John 1:9 "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." 

If you have never asked Christ to come and live in your heart, you don't know what you are missing.  No matter what you have done, nothing will separate you from Christ or his love and he only wants you to ask him to come in.  It is as simple as praying a simple prayer:
Lord, I admit I am a sinner.  I am so sorry Jesus for my sins and I want you to be the Lord of my life.
Amen. 

You don't have to an eloquent speaker, you don't have to be super talented, you don't even have to be a good person, nothing can separate you from Christ, but you and not asking him to come into your heart. 

I hope you all have a good week.
Love In Christ,
Maureen

No comments: