Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The Little Things

     I've always been thrilled by the small things in life.  The smell of a clean baby after a bath, my girls giggling in their room (even if they are supposed to be sleeping), the changing of the leaves when Fall come to your neck of the woods.  Today I am grateful and thankful to God that Chris and I can finally fall asleep again while in bed together at the same time. 

It seems odd, I know, but after his deployment in 2009 we struggled with this.  It took a year to get back to normal when he returned home in 2005.  It comes from spending a year in bed alone, even if you don't want to be alone.  Because the truth is no one's arms are as awesome as my husbands, except for God's.  And God is awesome, but sometimes a girl needs a nice strong physical set of arms to stand in the gap for her.  Chris is the one who stands in that gap for me.  I hoped that when he came home in 2010 that it wouldn't take as long.  It didn't.  It took longer.  Two years. . . personally two years seems too long to me. 

How did this happen?  Well add 1 deployment, 1 year of unemployment and 1 year of adjusting to a whole new part of the country because you've moved and it's a perfect storm for two things.  The first is insomnia.  It's been three years since I had a good nights sleep.  Recently, I've started finding a good routine and sleeping well again. HALLELUJAH!!  Remember it's the small things that thrill me. 
The second thing it usually means is trouble falling asleep with my husband in bed next to me.  We have a full sized bed (we keep swearing we are going to get a queen, it just hasn't happened yet), so room isn't in abundance, plus Chris works second shift.  And it's take 11 years but he doesn't try to tell me about his night at work anymore when he comes to bed.   He realized I wasn't joking when I told him that waking me up to talk to me means I don't fall back to sleep.  Once he got it, he made sure he didn't do it anymore.  So here is my prayer of thanks today.

Dear Heavenly Father,
Thank you for being with our family for the past three years.  I ask that you remain with us for many more years to come.  Thank you for watching over me, and for watching over Chris while he was in Iraq and Kuwait.  Thank you for making sure I had a loving husband who listens to me when I try to talk to him about what I need.  Thank you for teaching me how precious sleep really is and finally getting Chris and I back to where we were before.
Amen

2 comments:

Good said...

We have to appreciate the little things - "Remember, life is not made of great things, it is made of very small things. In the early morning, sipping a cup of tea, do it totally, as if this is the last cup of tea you will ever sip again. Take each moment and squeeze the whole juice out of it." Osho

lettersfromlaunna said...

I love and appreciate the small things in life.... these are what makes up my life and shows me gratitude:)