Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Jesus is a Zombie


I figure I have either seriously ticked God off or I have highly amused him.  Especially since this incident happened on Easter Sunday.   And no I don't really believe Jesus is a Zombie, I know God raised him from the dead and he ascended into heaven, but explaining that to four year Beka is a bit of a challenge.

Sunday morning Beka woke up bright eyed and bushy tailed and quite chipper.  She knew today was Easter Sunday and she was excited.  She was excited for the Easter Bunny.  We do not promote the Easter Bunny in our house. We may color eggs and hunt for them, but we do not encourage the girls to believe in a large white rabbit that is supposed to bring sweets to little children and poops out eggs - gross.  So I explained that Jesus died on the cross but on Sunday God raised him from the dead.

She looked at me very confused and asking how.  This went on for several minutes while I was trying to get ready for a busy Easter Sunday.  I had a ham to get in the oven, fix my hair, I was singing on Praise team that morning, singing in a trio and singing a solo  and little did I know I'd be doing it all with banged up knees.  So after a few moments of frustration I finally picked her up and looked at her and told her in a serious tone, "Beka, Jesus is a Zombie." 

I knew as soon as I said it I was going to regret it.  She climbed down and ran delighted into Sarah's room exclaiming, "Sarah, Sarah, Jesus is a Zombie!!!"   While I might not a huge fan on zombie movies, I do have a teenage daughter whose birth mother let her watch horror movies a child and she still loves a good horror movie.  And all teenagers seem to be discussing The Zombie Apocalypse these days.  Beka lives in the same house as Sarah, it's only natural that she is going to hear about zombies.  But Heaven help me I never in a million years thought that would be how I would be able to get it across to her that Jesus is not dead.  Apparently he's the undead. 

I know the day is going to come when I am going to regret this split second decision in more ways than one.  I also know it's going to come soon.  It's only a matter of time before she tells Grandma Mary, a Sunday School teacher or one of the older people in church - or WORSE, OUR PASTOR!!!!   It's coming, and I hope to explain it better between now and then.    But for now it seems that Beka is quite happy that Jesus is a Zombie.  I can only hope she isn't right when we get to Heaven.

2 comments:

lettersfromlaunna said...

I adore your blog, very cute and interesting:)

3Monkeysmom said...

thank you. I need to blog more often, but I've been stuck a bit lately.