Monday, April 16, 2012

Gift of Life!

Somehow it doesn't seem possible I am writing blog post 300 today.  I could write about Autism, it's a subject I know a lot about since I live with it daily.  But today I think it is important to write about a cause that is near and dear to my heart.  Organ donation.  It is so important.  And we have four very good reasons why our family is huge about encouraging organ donation!
Meet reason #1 - Denim (Denny) Weaver!
Three years ago a little boy in our church was born.  I didn't know the family very well at first, but thanks to Facebook and them sitting in front of us pretty much every Sunday, we got to know the Weaver family well.  Denim Wayne Weaver, was born with a disease known as Biliary Atresia.  While I am still trying to figure out a good way to explain it to people, it basically kills the liver because of too much bile from the gall bladder.  Thankfully, they caught it so quickly with Denny that he only needed a Kasai procedure, so far.  This may not always be the case, but for now Denny is doing well.  However, at some point Denny will most likely need a liver transplant.

Reason #2 Sarah Kraft!!!
We met the awesome Kraft family through our friends the Weavers. Denny's mom Beth, helped Patty and I connect when she learned we were moving to Everett, Washington.  Getting to know Kirk, Patty and their fun brood has been fun.  But last week, Sarah shared with me her gift of life.  She has a scar that goes across her little tummy to the middle, because that is where they gave her, her new liver.  Sadly, Sarah got her gift of life because someone else's child died.   There are a lot of people who think that organ donation means you have to be dead, but for liver or kidneys, that is not true.  You can be a living donor.  In truth, if I didn't have high blood pressure, I would have been a living donor several times because of families we've met.   Organ donation is so important for so many people.  Which brings me to reasons number 3 and 4!
Reasons  #3 & 4
 These adorable girls are amazing.  And so adorable!  Like Denny we met Leila and Laila Soureshjani at church.  Twin girls in need of life saving liver transplants.  Leila received her several months ago and is doing well, but tonight or early tomorrow morning Laila will receive her gift of life!!!  This is so exciting. 

I realize organ donation is scary to talk about.  It is, if you want to help someone with organs you usually die.  But you can help a child or adult in need of help by donating a kidney, liver, or marrow to someone in need.  Even if you aren't up for that, then please talk to your loved ones about your wishes.  You never know whose life you could be saving.  You might be helping save one of God's little angels or someone he has great plans for.  So please talk the talk, even write it down and keep it in your wallet so medical personnel will know if you want to be an organ donor.  You never know whose life you may be saving.

Have a good week.
In Christ,
Maureen

5 comments:

Sarah said...

I have been an organ donor for years because of the "can't take it with you" clause in our human contract.

Caleb's Mommy said...

Wonderful post

lettersfromlaunna said...

I have been an organ donor for years and I have taught both my children the importance of doing this as well:)

3Monkeysmom said...

That is great, now to get more people on board. There are so many people who need organs or marrow, but people are too scared to do it, or don't want to think about it. It's too important to not talk about.

Beth said...

Love you!!!I just remembered that you said you were going to blog about organ donation and decided to look for it. Thank you!