Friday, April 27, 2012

GGGRRRRRR!!!!!

I went through this with Sarah too.  I struggled as she struggled to learn how to clean the kitchen.  Sarah was a good kid, and so is Elizabeth.  Please, know my girls really are good girls, they are just terrible listeners.  

When Sarah started dish duty I ran into the same issue - half done, shoddy work and dishes not really cleaned, grime left on the dishes, residue left on pots and pans.  All of which meant I had to make her do them all over again.  Then Chris finally hooked up the dishwasher he purchased for me Christmas 2002 (it wasn't until 2008 but hey, better late than never).  Life got easier for Sarah - sadly that didn't mean she focused more of her energy on doing her chores, it meant she slacked off more.   I promised her once she proved to me she could do a good job on a regular basis, I would take her off kitchen duty, she never achieved this until we moved to Washington and finally, yes she came off dish duty.

So now I am teaching Elizabeth how to clean, do dishes.  In some ways it's a good thing having the girls ages so widely spread, but this is not one of those times.  Having the six to seven year age gap means once I have one girl trained I have to go through the whole process all over again.  GGGGRRRR!!!  Back to children who can't see what is right in front of them, back to teaching children how to properly do kitchen work, back to teaching how to do the laundry.  Worst, is that unlike Elizabeth Beka doesn't want to do the job the right way EVER!  So I have a little girl who doesn't attempt to put her clothes away, she just crams them all higgledy-piggledy (sp?).  It's annoying to say the least.  Beka would much rather have everyone else do it for her, but alas that is not to be her lot in life.  I have firm plans for Miss Beka - she will learn how to separate her clothing, she will learn how to help in the kitchen, cleaning and cooking (just like Sarah and Lizzie), she will learn to keep her room clean or she will not get privileges.

So yes, I've been through this before, but I'm a little more savvy this time and able to remember that I've done this once and hopefully speed up the time table.  OH!  And this time I'm creating the check list earlier.  As in I'm creating it tonight.  As soon as I'm done blogging tonight.   And hopefully by the time it's Beka's turn I'll have more patience, because I was already my brother and sister's maid, not anymore.  My kids are in for a rude awakening.

Have a good weekend.
In Christ,
Maureen

2 comments:

lettersfromlaunna said...

Good luck with helping your daughter to understand the importance of housework, have a great weekend:)

Sarah said...

We are just starting chores with James our 8 year old and right now his job is to push the buttons on the dishwasher. Our NT 15 year old daughter is expected to empty the dishwasher, put her laundry away and help with sweeping. She growls but will comply if given the correct incentive. My husband asks when the floors will be swept and I just hand her the broom. Which do you suppose works better? Keep it up and remember to find you joy everyday http://laughtercouldbethemissingpiece.blogspot.com/