Saturday, December 31, 2011

Kissing



When we were expecting Beka we attended a nice little church called Cornerstone.  While we didn't remain there, we did bring away with us some valuable lessons.  And after seeing living examples of young adults who waited until their wedding day to have their first kiss, we have opted to teach our girls to wait for marriage before giving their kiss away.  I hope that Sarah will make it but the truth is there were a lot of outside factors that make it unlikely.  And yet we still hope that she will opt to wait before giving her kiss to some random guy. 


Please don't misunderstand what I'm saying.  We don't think kissing is a sin, but Chris and I both know what our girls have yet to learn.  When you are dating someone and you give them your kiss it makes it very easy to slip into more intimate things.   So while we don't discourage the girls from holding hands, we are asking them to reserve their kisses for that one special young man that God has out there for them. 

Sarah is already experiencing the pain of breaking up with boys and yet, I wonder if it wouldn't have been tougher on her is she had given her first kiss to the young men she's liked.  And the truth is while I know that Sarah can make it, she is strong enough to make it til marriage, she has too many outside influences telling her she isn't worthy enough of waiting.   Some might call our hopes unrealistic, but I believe that we have sold our children short.  We've told them they are a slave to their hormones and I think Josh McDowell was right when he said that young people should feel insulted when the world tells them it's okay for them to have sex.

Moving on to the little girls, it helps that we have them with us most of the day with few outside influences, but so far they seem to realize that kissing is something to save.  They cover their eyes when people on TV kiss each other, they sometimes awkwardly say something in public.  But tonight was the best of all.  Beka drew some pictures and she told me one of them was me and that my mouth was my kissalip.  I had to chuckle as I asked her what was a kissalip?

She looked at me and sighed as if I should understand what she was talking about and informed me that a kissalip was where you get your kisses.   And that you don't get your kisses until you are married!  :D  I was so happy to hear that from her.   Now to see if they make it.  I believe in my girls and I am positive they have what it takes to make good choices.

I hope you all have a good week.
Love in Christ,
Maureen

2 comments:

shining.faith said...

We're teaching our daughters the very same thing. And we're teaching our sons to wait also because each person's heart is so valuable -- the hearts of the people they might choose to date, but especially their heart and the heart of the future spouse God has for them. Nothing is better than protecting their own heart until God shows them who their mate is. But we also have to deal with "outside influences," which doesn't make it easy. You guys have our prayers, and especially Sarah.

3Monkeysmom said...

Thank you, so far so good with Sarah. And our little girls cover their eyes and yell, "Gross" when they see people kissing.