Thursday, September 15, 2011

A Do-It-Yourself Trick for Clogged Sinks

A few years ago, Sarah's mom, Kate shared a magazine with me and it had a great trick to unclog your sink without using expensive clog relievers.  The nice thing is, the items are easy to find, inexpensive and may be in your kitchen already. 

Baking soda, vinegar, and water; honest it's that simple and it's worked amazing wonders for me with clogged sinks in the kitchen and the bathroom. 

1.  Boil a small to medium sized pot of water - you will need this for the final step.
2. 1/2 cup baking soda
3. 1/2 - 1 Cup white vinegar.  The amount you need will depend on how badly your sink is clogged.
4.  You may want to keep a plunger with you as well - I found it is sometimes needed to help the mixture work through the clog.


Directions:
Sprinkle the 1/2 cup baking soda around your drain.  Follow this with your vinegar - start with 1/2 cup first then add more as needed.  Allow mixture to sit as long as you can still hear it fizzing.  For especially stubborn clogs, I add a little more vinegar, because sometimes the baking soda clots and it needs a little more help.  Once you no longer hear the fizzling down in your drain, chase with boiling hot water.  Plunge if necessary to help the mixture work it's way into the drain and to the extent of your clog.

So next time you have a clogged drain, don't call your landlord or a plumber, give this a try first.  I just finished using it on my bathroom sink and I've used it numerous times to help my friends and family when their drains won't drain like they need and it works great as long as your clog is hair or small things like that. 

I hope you all have a great day and a good weekend, but now I need to go do my weekly laundry run.

In Christ,
Maureen

No comments: