Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Day 1 Schooling at Home


Today we started doing school at home. We accomplished Spelling. Yes, that is all we accomplished - spelling. I know, I know not a good start. However, I must point out that technically we only just started school and it hasn't officially started in Washington.

So the goal tomorrow is to accomplish math, reading, spelling, and I am going to have her write me a story about something she likes to do. I know Math's goal is to get her to the point where she doesn't do Math on her fingers. That one is going to take a lot of work for her. I have a few things to think about purchasing.

Spelling, where do I begin with spelling? Well I switched her to 3rd grade spelling. So today after she worked on writing her spelling words five times each, we worked on using our spelling words into sentences. I'd like to say it went well, but it didn't. There were tears, there were lot of tear and cries of "It's not fair." Until finally, Lizzie sat down and did them like I asked and we worked on the sentences together. Once she seemed to understand what was expected and that no I was not leaving her to do the sentences alone, it got better, but time got away from us. And I had to fix lunch for our company.

Today Math, got away from us because I had a meeting with Pastor Mike. We discussed the teens and the direction we hoped the youth group would take, then one of the teen arrived and away the afternoon went. However, my goal for Math right now is to help her achieve the goals for Math, but I also have the goal of helping her learn how to do addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division without her fingers. Thank goodness for my Math Tutor application on my smart phone. I plan to have her use it to help her with her math facts. Keep your fingers crossed and I'll let you know how well it works.

I hope you all have a good week.
Love in Christ,
Maureen

No comments: