Friday, June 3, 2011

Silver Linings

We all have an outlook on life. For some of us, it is an outlook that is positive or as some people call it, "The glass is half full" outlook on life. Some of us always seem to find the negative. And even an optimistic person has down days where it seems as if the glass is half empty instead of half full.

As a rule of thumb, I try to be an optimistic person. I like to find the bright side or silver lining in a cloud. While Chris was deployed another Army Reserve wife called me and she had just experienced a series of bad days. She was telling me how she had fallen down a set of steps that had been covered with ice and she hit the same spot on her tush on each step so it had a rather large bruise. After listening to her, I remarked, "But just think it could have been much worse, what if you'd hit a different spot every time you went down. Then your entire tush would be sore." She was quiet a moment before responding, "You know Maureen, there's this book called Pollyanna. Have you read it?" I started laughing and so did she. But that is a perfect example of how I operate. Even when the crummy stuff is happening I try to find the bright side of things. Until I have a series of bad days.

When I have a series of successfully awful days, that is when Debbie Downer comes out with great force. Even my sister who is normally Negative Nelly notices it - which says a lot. She told me, I'm pretty upbeat until Chris deploys, then I'm very negative. It's amazing how that works isn't it. Stress, bad days, all those little things that make you want to pull your hair out and scream - they can really affect your mindset. Or does our mindset affect our days?

In one of my Psychology classes we talked about Self-Fulfilling Prophecy. Basically, the concept that if you expect bad things to happen to you, then they will. But on the flip side of that coin, if you expect good things to happen, they will happen as well. It's interesting how in Psychology they are finding out that in some - not all but some cases it is about mind over matter.
Does it stink that the minivan had to be worked on while we were driving to Idaho during our move? Yes, but on the upside, it happened at a time when we were able to make it to a mechanics place so Chris could fix it. Also thankfully we had AAA and so we didn't have to attempt to drive to the NAPA store on two lug nuts (which I assure you, Chris would never have done in a million years because it would have been too dangerous). Do bad things happen? Yes, but it is in those bad things like house fires, tornadoes, car wrecks, or other disasters that we find out what people are made of and who our friends are in our lives. I guess what I'm saying is that there really is a silver lining even in the most tragic of circumstance.

I hope you all have a good weekend. I am signing off for the rest of the weekend so I can get things ready for our first teen event this weekend and spend time with the girls.

Love in Christ,
Maureen

No comments: