Thursday, June 16, 2011

Adventuring Out




I decided to take the girls for a drive this evening. . . this is something the three of us enjoyed doing a lot while Chris was deployed during 2009. While driving around may not seem so exciting while living in Kansas, it is definitely a lot more exciting while living here in the lovely and very green state of Washington.



It's amazing to me every time I go for a drive - whether it be to the commissary or to take the girls out on a small adventure how beautiful it is here. To the east of us, we look over while driving on I-5 and see the gorgeous Cascade Mountain range and to the west I can see the ocean. Both sights are equally breathtaking, so seeing them while living in one area is awesome to me.


So in the spirit of adventure, I took the girls out further than the the exit to the commissary this evening and we might have gone all the way to Camano Island if it hadn't been a school night and if I knew I would definitely make it back in time to pick Chris up from work. Either way, it was still a neat drive. The photos at the top of the blog are pictures I took at a rest area. Yes, you read that correctly - at a rest area outside of Marysville, WA, they have a huge Big Redcedar Stump. Apparently it was over 1,000 years old. It's astounding the things you discover when you go out of your comfort zone.


I know that change is scary, trust me I've been learning to embrace it for most of my life, but without change you cannot grow. Not emotionally or spiritually. As Christians, it is easy to get into a rut and try to keep everything status quo, and yet it is often when we move outside of our ruts or the familiar that we begin to experience true growth. It is in those moments when you are going against everything you ever knew that you must trust solely in Christ and allow God to carry you and help you get through all of the things that He has in store for you. A good example of people whose lives grew and radically changed are the lives of the disciples. It was when they laid down their nets, tax collections, and various livelihoods and choose to follow Jesus that they began to truly experience a life in God.


How brave are you? Are you willing to let God move you out of your comfort zone so you can grow closer to him? Have a good week.


Love in Christ,

Maureen

No comments: