Monday, May 23, 2011

Quiet Time

I have a confession . . . I am not always as good about spending quiet time with God as I should be. Sometimes it's because life gets in the way and other times it is because I find that I simply forget. And yet I am not happy about this. . . not one bit. It bothers me that I know I love God and I know he loves me, and yet I find myself not always giving him my best.

Since moving here, I have discovered that this is slowly changing. One of the things I've done is I have allotted a set time for Sarah to spend reading the Bible each morning as she prepares to homeschool. Beka can play quietly in her room or I go in my room, but somehow in doing this small act, it has become simpler to read my Bible and spend time in prayer.

I also find that when I encourage our girls to memorize Bible verses that it tends to keep me more accountable. This week we are memorizing Psalm 18:1 & 2 "I love you, O Lord, my strength. The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer, my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold." It seems pretty simple, but I also find that when I require that the TV stay off it helps me focus more on what is important. That is huge for me. I really, really love to watch movies and television, but more importantly, I want to serve and love God as I should. I find that in requiring a quiet time without television for the girls, that I really also end up requiring quiet time for myself as well and it lets me spend some quality time with God.

How do you take steps to ensure you are able to spend time with God? Where do you rank your personal walk with Jesus in the grand scheme of things? Do you make him a priority or do you too find yourself falling into the trap of focusing on other things over focusing on God?

I hope you all have a good week.

Love in Christ,
Maureen

No comments: