Monday, May 16, 2011

Jesus Freaks?




I am reading a new book. The Hiding Place - it's about Corrie ten Boom an amazing woman of faith who is very candid about the fact that she too struggled to see the Nazi's as men/women who needed God's grace. It's an amazing book, and yet Corrie is open about the fact that her mother, father, and sister Betsy are quick to pray for the Nazi soldiers eventually invade Holland. Her family was placed in prison and later a concentration camp for hiding Jews during Hollands occupation by German forces. While I am not finished yet with the book, I did find myself wondering and thinking. Would I be willing to do this for Christ? Would I hide people or speak out boldly for Christ even in the face of possible death, torture and imprisonment.



If you enjoy reading and you are familiar with an organization called Voice of the Martyrs, when you join them in praying and subscribe to their monthly newsletter, they send you a free copy of the book Jesus Freaks by D. C. Talk. It is a history those who have loved and given their lives for Christ. Some spent decades in jail/prison for speaking openly about Christ. Some were killed for their faith.



What are you willing to do for God? If a soldier held a gun to your head and told you to deny Christ or he would shoot you - would you cave and deny Christ or would you stand firm and only proclaim him as your Lord and Savior. There is a part of me that longs to believe I would stand firm, but I also know that I hate the idea of leaving my children without a mother. It would be a very tough decision. I would definitely need an extra measure of God's strength to face death.



Abba,


Help us all to find the strength from you to stand firm for you. Teach us to become truly devoted to you and to have a servants heart. Help us to be able to answer your call with "Speak Lord, your servant is listening." Just as others have had to choose to love Christ or turn away, I pray Lord that you would make each of us strong enough to stand up for you.


Amen


Love in Christ,


Maureen

No comments: