Friday, May 27, 2011

Adjustments and Autism Spectrum Disorder

Changes are always tough for children. But in this aspect, Elizabeth definitely shows signs of an Autism Spectrum Disorder - change for her is tough and if she isn't feeling well? Well then usually all bets are off.





I should have known when she had a full fledged meltdown last night. It wasn't even over something big, like someone picking on her. It was over a sucker. Yes, it seems small, but one of the children in the play area near our apartment took a sucker from her, even though she had a sucker in her mouth and that was it, a full on meltdown. She was standing in the playground area just wailing, at 9 years old? Yes, this is a perfect example of how when a child who has Autism or an Autism Spectrum Disorder gets overwhelmed or overstimulated, it can easily fall apart.





Thankfully, we live in an area where most of the kids are very nice and I've talked to them about Elizabeth so two little girls who play with her did exactly what I asked and came to get me. They also explained that someone had taken one of her three suckers. Yes, you read it right. She had three suckers but because a child took one of them away from her, she had a full on meltdown.





So I brought her inside, got her semi-calmed down and had her go ahead and take a shower. After a while, she finally went to sleep, but not until after 10 p.m. and not without holding a trash can with her while she sipped on some Sprite.


I used that as an opportunity to fill out the assessment paperwork that we'd gotten from her school. She hasn't been re-evaluated since her first assessment in 2005, so it's time. I had to write a good deal on the back to explain which behaviors, or lackthereof concerned me. So I was feeling a bit deflated last night, but this morning. Well this morning I'm worried.

This morning Elizabeth who is usually a pretty happy girl, woke up in a bad mood. She wants her Leapster back from Beka, she doesn't want to go to school, she hates her sneakers and they don't fit. Today nothing is going right for her and she's just in a bad mood. Thankfully, it is easy to put in a simple phone call to her school. So I did that, I needed to do that anyway since I had to change my cell phone number, but I called Mrs. Galloway her teacher who spends the majority of the day with her and let her know what was coming. I don't think I've had to do that in quite some time.

I hope you all have a good and uneventful Memorial Day weekend. Please keep praying for those families who have lost loved ones due to the tornadoes that are making their way through the Midwest these past few weeks. There are many who have lost children, spouses, family and more.

Love in Christ,
Maureen

No comments: