Monday, April 4, 2011

Women and Their Roles

A few years ago we had the privilege of attending a church that eventually we left. It was a privilege because it forced me to look at what I think a woman's role is in the church. Growing up in the Church of the Nazarene meant I saw many young women rise to roles that were leadership roles. I also saw wonderful examples of how husbands and wives lived together and worked together as a team. As I got older and began studying the Bible more in depth, I too First Peter and other verses talking about how a woman should submit to her husband. I also read the follow up verses about how husbands should treat their wives. And until a few years ago I never thought I was a feminist. Honest, I don't think I am a feminist. If I were a feminist, I wouldn't think it was important to teach my daughters to be respectful of their dad, and their future husbands. I do believe that men are the heads of the household. I also know that having a good solid father figure is incredibly important to girls. I have lived with and without my dad - and it's made a difference between my sister and I and our views on life and dating and sex even. So in stating all of that, this is what I believe. I believe that as a wife, I am to submit to my husband. I also believe that he too should follow the God's outline for how he should treat me, and this goes across the board for all men and women. I do not believe I am better than all men - there are some amazing, smart and incredible men out there, but there are also some incredible women out there as well. I don't believe we are equal - I think God made men and women different for a specific reason. I am not as strong physically as my husband, and we really balance each other out very well. He is great with a checkbook and he's great at fixing cars. I am not so hot with a checkbook, and I couldn't fix a car to save my life. So let's hope the fate of the world doesn't ever rest on my ability to fix a car or the world will end - because if so, I'm sorry, but you are all toast. I know that God is my master and savior and so Chris is to be my master - the lovely part about this is that my husband doesn't treat me like a slave. I do believe that a woman can be a leader in the church - I think given the time that the verse in Timothy that many churches use to argue against women being leaders was written that a woman can be a leader, but she should absolutely be called. I am not called to lead music or to teach Sunday School, but kudos to those who are called. Please don't ignore the call or your gifting. However, I saw something in the church we went to - men who used the Bible as a way to keep their wives beneath them and not by their side. They acted as if they were superior to their wives instead of recognizing their strengths and encouraging them. There are times to the authority - and when it is that time, Chris asserts his role as the leader of our home. I saw men who acted as if all women were beneath them - to the point that they refused to open their ears when help was offered - because that person was a woman. Being a man doesn't give you all of the answers anymore than being a woman does. We all have our strengths and our weakenesses. We all have areas where God must carry us - and having one appendage in your pants does not make you a better person than someone else. So there you have my opinion. You don't have to agree with me - it's just my opinion and you can take it or leave it. I hope you all have a good week. Love in Christ, Maureen

No comments: