Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Things We Tell Our Kids

See that lovely woman pointing in the picture? She's my mom and when I was growing up she gave me helpful tips and advice. She also insisted she was 21 until I learned to do the math. Growing up parents teach their children the darnedest sayings. "Children in Ethiopia would love to have the food." "When I was a kid I had to walk to school up hill both ways; in ten feet of snow; with only socks on my hands for mittens." But I think one of my favorites that has stuck in our family is this one, "Eat your vegetables and it'll put hair on your chest."
Of course, leave it to my husband to take that saying and alter it a bit. So now he tells Beka if she eats her veggies that it will put hair on her pits. Imagine his surprise and chagrin when she started looking for the hair to be on her pits (pits = armpits). Even more humorous was when Beka realized that Jesus was more than just a baby - he grew up and became a grown up with . . . hair on his pits!!!" We had a good chuckle over that one and she spent a day or so talking about how Baby Jesus grew up and got hair on his pits. Thankfully she didn't discuss this in public, at least not that I know of.
Sometimes though, I think he goes a bit too far. . . for example; telling our girls there is an alligator in the lake behind our house to scare them away from the water. Although with Beka, just the fact that the ducks are there is enough to frighten her away. What funny sayings do you have that your parents taught you and you're passing down? Do you sometimes stretch the truth a bit when talking to your children? But a more important question - what do you think God would think of your fib even if you have good intentions?
I hope you all have a good week and a wonderful Easter Sunday.
Love in Christ,
Maureen

No comments: