Thursday, February 17, 2011

Proverbs 4

I am currently reading Isaiah and Proverbs as part of my devotions. My goal is to read through the whole Bible this year and I have a bit of catching up to do. Sadly, I also love television and movies and this is poses a problem.

Today part of my reading was Proverbs 4 and I found the entire chapter very interesting - it is a father trying to teach his son to seek wisdom. This is a tough journey and it's hard sometimes to walk that straight and narrow path - especially today with so many people in our world advocating the idea of "if it feels good then it must be the right thing to do."

However, I especially found these verses intriguing and a spiritual wake up call. Proverbs 4: 24-27. "Put away perversity from your mouth; keep corrupt talk far from your lips. Let your eyes look straight ahead, fix your gaze directly before you. Make level paths for your feet and take only ways that are firm. Do not swerve to the right or to the left, keep you foot from evil." (Life Application Study Bible, New International Version 2005). Wow, put away perversity? Keep corrupt talk from your lips? How guilty am I of doing these same things? The answer is very guilty. It makes a person want to hang their head in shame.

How easy it is to watch television or movies where they make jokes about sex, and many immoral things? I know I personally enjoyed the tv show Friends, and I find I am at war between what I know God wants for me (a pure heart and mind) and the fact that I found the show incredibly funny. There is a part of me that enjoyed watching it and the laughs it gave to me, but I also know that it is not what God would want. The main characters have sex with their boyfriends outside of marriage and sometimes they aren't even their boyfriends. They make crude jokes, that while humorous are not what God wants for us.

A few years ago I remember Jimmy Needham talking about having lunch/coffee with a friend and how his friend was using crude humor and talking about things that broke Jimmy's heart.This friend was a fellow believer - truly heart breaking. How often as Christian do we forget to live in the world and not of the world? I know I am guilty of this and it is something I struggle with constantly.

While facing spiritual conviction is always difficult it is also a part of the growing process in our relationship with Christ. As time goes by and I grow older, I find that somehow I no longer find myself angry when facing that lovely spiritual 2 x 4 that comes at me when God needs me to face where I am failing and need to grow some more. Maybe it's because as I grow older I realize that when I follow Christ and allow him to be the one in control that it is a smoother path - or at least a little bit easier to face those difficult times. While we live in a world where people want happy mediums for many things, I find that God asks for everything to be His way and not our way.

We often find it is a struggle to find that happy medium, but with God there is His way only. The straight and narrow path and Jesus was correct when he said that many will fall by the wayside. Will you be one of them? Or will you join me as I strive to grow closer to Christ and learn to walk the straight and narrow path too? I hope you all have had a good week.

Love in Christ,
Maureen

No comments: