Saturday, January 22, 2011

Older and Wiser?

There are blessings and curses that come with growing older. It's a blessing because people stop acting like you don't know anything -but on the down side of that they like to tell you things like, "Wow, I"m never going to be 36 years old! That is so ancient." Nothing screams, let me smack you quite like a teenager who is still cute, thin and perky telling you how old you are and that she hopes she never grow old. Of course, you realize this will happen - it happens to all of us.

A blessing is that I tend to drive slower - less traffic accidents, speeding tickets, etc . . . and lower car insurance is always a good thing. However, you find that you no longer drool as much over that baby blue Ford Mustang from the 60's you used to want so badly. Instead you find yourself looking at minivans and asking about space for luggage and to keep your children from fighting - so they can survive until you get to your destination. This is especially important if you are the only one driving because your spouse is away for a while.

I can make my hair, almost do what I want now. Of course, now I have to color it to hide the gray that is coming in a little sooner than I would like.

I am very concerned with my health, whereas before when I was younger, I foolishly didn't take good care of my health. I didn't really think I'd live forever, so much as since I was younger, I was also broke more often than not. Now I take a small handfull of vitamins, and minerals each day. Oh and I find myself taking baby aspirin because heart disease runs in my family and asking questions about bone density and mammograms.

I finally realize the importance of warm clothing. Of course, it also means I have hat hair a lot. And I find that ponytails tend to be my staple hair choice somedays - I am a stay at home mom so having my hair constantly in my eyes is not so great.

I actually enjoy date night now. When I was younger, I LOATHED dating. It's not that there aren't nice men out there. . . it's that I never seemed to meet them. Or even better I would meet very nice guys and have great chemistry with them, but there was that thing that told me if I kissed them I'd probably regret it and it would ruin our friendship. That lesson I learned the hard way, but with age comes wisdom. Sometimes it isn't worth losing your friendship for a kiss - no matter how good the chemistry is with a guy.

I have learned that as you get older you get achy joints more often. Things that didn't bother you before begin to ache at the most inconvenient times (Like when you are trying to sleep?! Who forgot to send me the memo about that one?) I find that I listen to my doctor more readily and to the busybodies at church less.

I have learned the art of somewhat ignoring someone and their snide remarks. I still don't tell them off, but I think about it less as well now. Oh and I am a lot better at coming up with zingers as I'm older. Before I was like Meg Ryan's character in You've Got Mail. Now it isn't so much that I freeze up because I'm shocked as it is, I just don't think it's worth my time to tell them off. It's not worth the energy. But my husband assures me when I do tell people off, he really enjoys watching it?!

I have learned that mothers never quite see their children as adults, but others who aren't your parents are always a little surprised that I listen to the Christian music my older daughter likes and a little of her secular stuff too. I like concerts and I love a good beat, but I didn't love having a parent who refused to listen to our music in the car on road trips. It made for a long trip - because batteries only last so long, then it's back to listening to the Golden Oldies, whether you want to or not.

I have learned that I don't have all the answers. But these things I know for certain.
- I am one of the only people in my house who will change the toilet paper roll when Chris isn't home.
- I will absolutely have to ask a minimum of three times before Chris actually takes out the trash to the dumpster and he usually doesn't take the recycle bin at the same time unless I make it a point to ask.
- My children will always throw up at the worst possible time - like right before a road trip (It's happened with all three).
- My husband loves me and all my stretch marks and scars - he sees them as signs of my love for him.
- Something in the house will always break down at the worst possible time - and this goes for cars as well by the way.
- Life is always going to bring death, taxes and change.
- Leather like spandex is a privelege is not a right - just because you can wear it doesn't necessarily mean that you should. ESPECIALLY if you have a spare tire around your middle.
- Church always goes over when you have something that requires you to be home at a certain time to remove it from the oven.
- People all have opinions. They don't have to agree with you, you just have to learn to let it go and accept them for who they are in the end.
- Mothers never really see their children as adults, so it will be necessary from time to time to have a chat with them - especially when raising ones own children. They mean well and love you dearly, but it's a fact.
- There will always be a few people in church who ruin it for the others. The key is to love them anyway and try not to let them bother you. It's tough to do.
- Sometimes you have to be out of situation before you see something that you needed to know.
- God is faithful and He will provide for your needs. I have seen Him take care of my family as a small child on countless occasions.

I hope you all have a good week.

Love in Christ,
Maureen

No comments: