Monday, January 24, 2011

Never Been Kissed?

I love the movie Never Been Kissed. I absolutely understand how Drew Barrymore feels. I was on a first name basis with the librarians. I was a book nerd. If you needed cool advice, go see someone else, but if you needed help writing a paper, come talk to me. However, even to this day I am not really comfortable in a lot of social settings. I never really quite figured out the whole social etiquette thing, so I tend to shy away from them.

As I have been increasing my social networking friends (and deleting a few as needed) I have run into some of the nicer people I knew in middle school and high school. It's been nice, and yet, I have also run into some people who have remained stuck in the past.

Are you who you were in high school? Or have you changed? If you were a popular kid, do you still feel the need to be popular? Or have you discovered that you attract more flies with honey than with vinegar? If you were a taunted individual are you still holding on to that pain or have you realized that it's best to move forward and let the past go?

As Sarah navigated middle school and was attempting to navigate high school, we often told her to not let what the other children said get to her. In ten years the things that people think of you now won't matter and often times, you will discover that the things you thought were so important no longer hold weight with you. Fortunately, she is a smart kid and believes us, but it doesn't mean there aren't times that she hasn't come home and cried or Chris hasn't taken her out for a drink and a heart to heart talk.

I have discovered that while some people remain snarky and stuck in the past, that others have grown and have learned from life's lessons. I am happy to become reacquainted with these people and I look forward to getting to know them better.

Have a good week.

Love in Christ,
Maureen

No comments: