Wednesday, January 5, 2011

College, Sleep Deprivation and Babies


The same year I gave birth to this little cutie I decided to finish up college. I am not sure, but I may have been hormonally insane. Thankfully, you can't be committed for being a masochist (at least on this small level anyway) or stupid.
So here it is, Beka is about four months old, I am breastfeeding, have Lizzie going to school (before she got the bus -so I was driving), Sarah riding a bus to middle school and we had childcare for the overlapping time when Chris left for work and I got home from class.
By the end of the school year, you can imagine that Chris and I were both wiped out. The first semester worked out pretty well - he did morning classes and I did afternoon classes so there was a little overlap from when he left to go to work and I got out of class - we found good childcare and it worked. But second semester all the classes I needed were in the mornings. AND I was taking two 8 week Algebra classes so I could just have done with it. Chris and I both did mornings, so we got up at 6:30 a.m. to get Lizzie to Latchkey at 7:15 a.m. and Beka to the sitter by 7:30 a.m. and to class by 8:00 a.m. It made for an interesting morning until Chris realized he was too exhausted to keep going on - so he dropped out. He still had to get Lizzie to school and take care of Beka, but it saved us on childcare at least.
While this all sounds completely insane, I think it was a good thing for several reasons. First, it helped Chris see what all I do during a day and that while cleaning a house may not be my area of expertise, that I got a lot accomplished during the day that he didn't even think of doing. By the third week, he apologized to me for giving me such a hard time and he has been a lot of help around the house since. Second, I got caught up on the credits that had changed whilst I was away from college and moved to a different state. Finally, this was good, because it gave me the ability to have an identity outside of my home and family. I love my family very much, but I was losing myself in taking care of them. It also made me realize how much I want to go back and finish up and to value my classes more than I did when I was younger and a lot less wiser than now.
So let me encourage you to go back to school - finish what you start. First, it teaches your children that a college education is important - and you are leading by example not word of mouth. Second, it will help you feel better about who you are as a person. Third, it will make you a lot more marketable - especially with the economy like it is these days, I think that is incredibly important.
I hope you all have a good week. May God bless you and keep safe as you go into the weekend.
Love in Christ,
Maureen

No comments: