Thursday, December 23, 2010

Merry Christmas



It's that time of year again - Christmas is here. For some it will be a day like any other day - due to a poor economy. For many it is a day where we celebrate the birth of our Lord and Saviour.


The girls are home from school for Christmas break and we are enjoying snuggles and hugs and tons of kisses. I think their favorite part this year is that Chris has come home. Last year he got to watch us on the webcam as the girls tore open their presents. Last year was a year of plenty. This year is a year of remembering that Dad is home and that alone is enough to give great thanks to God.


I remember Christmas' with little under the tree, but I was thrilled that year because our cousins were with us to enjoy time with Grandma Taylor. My grandma could make a lot out of very little. She was very creative and talented and smart. She could make the most amazing cakes and cookies. She could take material that no one thought would look good and make amazing dresses or aprons out of it. Some of my favorite clothing were outfits that Grandma Taylor had made for me. Somehow she and Mom always made us feel like we had plenty. At least that is how I remember our childhood. As I got older and realized that we were poor, my mom always managed to give us some gift that was great - a set of tapes, or a pillow that was embroidered. I was 15 yrs old when I realized that while we were at school, Mom was working for her good friend Ginny Schwarz to earn the money she needed to give us a good Christmas. Personally, I think that means Mom should get Mother of the Year Award for several years in a row, but that is just me.


As I get older, I realize so many things, Christmas may have become commercialized, but it doesn't have to be this way in our body of Christ. This is the season of giving, and celebration - whether you are struggling or not. There are so many out there who have no Christmas at all. Let me encourage you this year to help those who need it, even if you are in need yourself.
Merry Christmas everyone. I hope your Christmas day is a good one, filled with joy, laughter and family.
Love in Christ,
Maureen

No comments: