Thursday, December 2, 2010

Christmas Joy!


It took me a while to figure out how to do this one. But this is a video my mom took of Elizabeth performing in last year's Christmas musical.



This may not seem like a huge deal to some of you. Some of you have children who are fine, no disabilities, or torture to deal with for your kids, except the occasional kid stuff. But this was huge for us and for Elizabeth. I wasn't ever sure this day would come for us. And I know that a lot of it was possible because we have a great church who hired an amazing children's pastor - Lana.



Lana realized at practice that I was stressed and Lizzie was stressed out. So she came up with a great plan. She had a teen buddy for Lizzie. This lovely girl sat on the sidelines out of sight and when each song was over, Lizzie would go and sit with her buddy. This enabled Elizabeth to participate and still join the other kids in the music. Sitting during the talking part, was too much for her last year - I don't know if we can do it this year, but we'll give it a shot.


I remember sitting in the front row with Mom while she recorded this and other segments with Lizzie in them and I cried tears of joy. These milestones are incredible for us, and each time she meets one, I weep for joy, because not only is Lizzie meeting our goals, she exceeds them. We raise the bar higher and she goes for it with everything she has in her.


For us early detection was key. Having discovered Elizabeth's special needs allowed us to get her early intervention - it might have been even earlier had I been able to see it sooner. Thankfully, I had a great support system and great resources at my disposal (my mom has Master's Degree in Chapter One Reading and I have several aunts who are teachers - they were valuable information in working with the schools to help Elizabeth - even when it meant butting heads with the school to keep her in a regular class or to wait on medication). In many ways God was there, gently guiding us towards the right people in our lives who knew how to help us, or give us the support we needed. He sent women in my life who have children with either a similar diagnosis or who have a form of special needs, whether it is a physical special need or learning disability. It's amazing how through this journey God has sent just the right people to us at the right times. It is proof that God's grace is sufficient and his strength is perfect. Somehow thank you doesn't seem to be enough.


I hope you all enjoy the video as much as we enjoyed watching it.



Love in Christ,

Maureen

No comments: