Saturday, November 20, 2010

Illness and Good Husbands

This week we have a pretty and sick little Rebekahboo. I hate this part of parenting, when your monkey is sick and you can't do anything except let their immune system fight it. You push the liquids, give Tylenol/Ibuprofen if needed, and give lots of hugs, kisses and cool baths if needed.

While I am good at doing that part and kissing the owies and booboo's and making them go away. Chris though is amazing at the staying up into the wee hours of the mornings as well as doing all the other stuff. He never loses his temper when they get sick and throw up on him. He soothes, rubs upset tummies, gives tons of hugs, kisses, and snuggles and gets the medicine down with minimal spillage. He's firm but kind, soothing and yet he knows when it's necessary to fight them for their own good. He realizes that I am a morning person and so around midnight I stop functioning. He on the other hand, is good at staying up into the late hours and giving the tlc during this time, letting me get the sleep I need to do it in the morning and during the day.

He is good at having those deep philosophical talks with Sarah at night. Sarah is a night person too and I start shutting down the brain around seven or eight at night. Because he is not like Sarah too much (I am - both oldest, both of us want to run the show, and it makes me nuts that she constantly has to have the last word) he can talk to her in ways I can't - and sometimes I can talk to her from a point of view that she needs. On the other hand, I am better with Elizabeth when she becomes agitated and over-stimulated. I can calm her down and not lose my cool - he struggles with that because he and Lizzie are a lot alike. Beka is in the middle somewhere for now - she's only three years old, so the personality conflicts haven't begun yet. Although, I do think she is going to give him a run for his money as she gets older, she is stubborn and likes to do things her own way - something that will not fly with her Daddy.

No matter the dynamic between you and your husband, I hope you are able to work together and he is as much support for you as Chris is for me. He has grown so much in the ten years we have been married. The man who started off as a pretty good husband has grown into a stellar and amazing husband and dad. So like a wine, he keeps getting better with time and age.
I love you honey and I look forward to the rest of our time together. May it be at least another 50 years or so.

Let me encourage you. If you are reading this and wishing your husband was that kind of man - lift him in prayer. Not in a please, God change my husband kind of way. I mean in a way that you share his trials and struggles to God. I also recommend reading The Power of the Praying Wife by Stormie O'Martin. It's a good book and has some very good wisdom from a woman who has been married for a number of years. Also read 101 Ways to Romance Your Marriage I don't
remember who wrote it, but it is excellent and amusing. You get from your marriage what you are willing to put into it. I mean that for men and women both.

Have a good weekend. It's time to snuggle a Snickerroo and help her feel better.
Love in Christ,
Maureen

No comments: