Friday, November 26, 2010

A HUGE TRIUMPH & THANKS TO GOD!


ELIZABETH IS READING!!! ELIZABETH IS READING!!!!
Imagine a woman saying this over and over again in a sing-song voice and you are still not even close the elation I am feeling right now.
Four and one half years ago we put Elizabeth into the loving and amazing hands of Sherry Silveous at Sam S. Spaght Elementary. In the beginning Mrs. Silveous would literally peel Elizabeth off of me and take her screaming and crying down the hall to her Kindgergarten class.
At the time, we were still learning to adjust to the idea that Elizabeth was special needs and we didn't know what to expect. In one year she went from barely speaking to talking non-stop. It actually got to the point where Sarah finally said something, "You guys used to make me play the quiet game. How come you don't do that with Elizabeth?" So I explained to her that she could always talk and Elizabeth was quiet for so long, I was just thrilled to pieces she was speaking at all.
Time went on and Elizabeth began to make progress in areas of social development, her echolalia is mainly a thing of the past, and she is sitting at the dinner table as I write this reading a book out loud. It's a 1st grade primer book, but by golly I will take it. I think it's time to break out the Fancy Nancy books and let her start going to town and read those and practice with some harder stuff. The little girl who started this year barely knowing the sight words for Kindergarten much less her own grade level, only moments ago just breezed through the entire stack of sight words I bought last year and only missed two words: saw and these. I knew she was making some progress, so I already have 1st and 2nd grade sight words put onto index cards to tackle and learn.
I was worried at the beginning of the year -we finally had to concede and allow her to take her tests and do assignments orally, which I will fight to maintain for a while as she catches up and gains more ground. Years of banging my head against the wall with worry and frustration. So pardon me if I sob tears of relief and joy like a pansy, I don't care. Judge me, hate me, call me a pansy I'll tell you to go jump in the lake, my baby is reading!!!!! Something I wasn't sure would ever happen, is coming together.
So excuse me while I go and dance a jig for joy and I take my little girl out for a much deserved lunch with Mommy and Daddy and ice cream tonight as a reward.
Elizabeth is reading, Elizabeth is reading, Elizabeth is reading!!!!!!!!
Love in Christ,
Maureen

No comments: