Sunday, October 17, 2010

Things That Make You Go Hmmmmm . . .

Hello, My name is Maureen and I am pretty sure I am addicted to Facebook and to Twitter. I like reading witty quotes from my friend, Ray in Seattle on Twitter or reading the witty banter between cast members of Sanctuary (my new obsession might be closer to science fiction - thanks, honey!). I enjoy Facebook because I have been able to reconnect with people who I would normally have no idea how to even find, much less remember from elementary school. But with these perks also come some cons.

First, in joining Twitter and Facebook I have been awakened to some of the grave injustices in the world - such as Human Trafficking. I knew of it's existence before, but thanks to Twitter, I am now more proactive in bringing it to light. Albeit at times, I also think it tends to make me a little more paranoid about not letting my daughters out of my sight.
Second, sometimes, people you wish would forget you, find you anyway whether you like it or not. This means I find myself in the unusual position of trying to decide, is this someone I really want to be in contact with at this point in my life. Sometimes, the answer is no, sometimes, it's okay for now, but we'll wait and see.
Third, I find I have to monitor what I put on my Facebook page, which means I can't always write what I want to write, when I want to write it, because I'd prefer not to answer a billion questions from my family.
Finally, it means I often find out things I would probably not know about until later. For example: recently a young woman I taught while I was a teen and she was a small child in Preschool Children's Church passed away and lost her twins. In some ways it was amazing to see God work through her and her story, in other ways though it left me with all the wind taken out of my sails. Or a friend who awoke one morning to find someone dear to her had passed in their sleep. While death is a part of life, seeing so many young people passing seems to have just taken any stamina I had and subdued it for a period of time. I told Chris, I refused to attend one more funeral for a person under the age of 40 for the year, because I just couldn't do it again.

On the brighter side, I have found Facebook (FB) to be an amazing tool to share Christ, and the same goes for Twitter. These internet sights also make it easy to go find out how your favorite Christian artist, or secular artist is doing or what they think about. Actors who I might have liked previously without knowing anything about them, I now can check them out and decide if this is really a person I want to put time and energy into. . . more often than not, I choose no, but sometimes I just really like their work a lot and so I play the wait and see game.
I have also been able to reconnect with people who I wouldn't have found otherwise, like friends from high school & college. It means seeing how they are and what they are up to these days.
It means being able to chat with new and old friends and of course, I get the wonderful pleasure of having an ongoing poke war on FB with my mom and several friends - including my best friend and husband, Chris! There are days when I am ready to throw in the towel and I go on FB or Twitter and one of my tweeps or FB friends has put a saying that has me in stitches and it brightens the day.

Finally, on a very positive note, The Bible, Circle of Prayer and multiple other Christ centered groups have popped up on FB (yes there are some not so great groups too, but for now we will focus on the positive) enabling those who would maybe find it difficult to talk about Christ an outlet to discuss him and the Bible. It is one more way that God has taken something not originally thought of for his use and turned it into something amazing that He can use.

I hope you all have an amazing week and God Bless you all.
Love In Christ,
Maureen

No comments: