Monday, October 4, 2010

My Birthday Guy


Happy Birthday Honey!

October 5th is a historic day in the life of the Koeppel Clan. . . it is my husband's birthday.

When Chris and I met on July 17, 2000 I didn't even realize how much my life would change. Until that point in time, I had resigned myself to living a life alone, taking care of my mom in her old age and watching everyone else have the happy ending, I wanted but never thought would happen.

I know that sounds a little dramatic, but after years of bad things continually happening, I had begun to think it was my lot in life to be alone and sad. I had gotten used to it, it was my life - it stunk of course, but by 26 yrs old I had given up on the idea of meeting someone. Partly because I was overweight, but also because most men may respect the fact that I was holding out on having sex until I was married - in fact, if I met a man who I was sure was not what I wanted, I only had to utter one phrase, "I don't believe in sex before marriage." It never failed to work.

Before meeting Chris I had only begun to have a higher opinion of men. In all honesty, can you blame me. Most of the young men I met were either abusive, or only wanted one thing and when they found out they wouldn't get it, they ran for the hills. With experiences like that and the experiences with my schoolmates, it's amazing I ever began to think of any men with respect and dignity. Thankfully, God knew I needed to change that perspective and so he sent young men of faith who were my friends who I could respect. Thank you, Ryan Womack, Andrew White, Rick Buttenmiller, Matt Goodwin, and Kyle Owen - as well as a few others . . . I don't know that you realize that God used you to that extent, but he did. He also sent the Willinghams into my life in 1999 an I was able to see more than just Aunt Nina and Uncle Ed in action - I was able to see another Christ centered couple near my age in action and who loved God very deeply and each other. So meeting Chris, I could honestly say I didn't need a white knight to rescue me and that not all men were scumballs.

That day I met someone who made me feel safe, comfortable (I let him rub my feet those who do not know me do not know how big that was - shocked the socks off of my family) and I could see the man God had planned for him to become. It started with a few sparks and grew into something more than infatuation. . . I found my best friend.

I remember the day he first held my hand in his. He drove to Oklahoma City from Wichita, KS to visit and we were on a date. I showed him around town and took him to the Botanical Gardens in Bricktown and we put our feet in one of the fountains before a security guard came and told us we couldn't do that. As we walked away he took my hand in his and I knew in that moment that when God made my hand, he made it to the size it is now so it would fit perfectly in Chris' hand. That was the moment when I began to consider that this was the man God had for me. It was a little frightening and a little exilerating at the same time. We had a good weekend and it just kept going from there.

It was nice knowing when I gave myself to him, that he was worth the wait. We are coming up on 10 yrs January 19, 2011 and while it hasn't always been sunshine and roses, I can say that I would still do it all again. I wouldn't trade these 10 years for anything. . .and I look forward to many more years to come.

I love you, honey. . . and I look forward to spending many more birthdays with you and growing old and gray together.

Love Always,
Maureen

No comments: