Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Blessed are Those Who Mourn

At this moment in time, it seems there are a lot of people in mourning. . . I know my Facebook page is inundated with prayer requests from people finding out loved ones are dying or they have lost someone very close to their hearts. It seems to come in cycles and sometimes it seems to abate for a while. Obviously since I a blogging it means two things: 1) it's after 2 a.m. and I can't sleep so why not blog and 2) I cannot make my mind shut down.

As I sat here earlier after awaking in the middle of the night, I find myself in prayer. Prayer for those who are mourning, those who are facing troubles right now, and those who love them and must watch their friends walk this path. I also remember that in Ecclesiastes, God tells us there is a season to laugh, a season to cry, a time to live and a time to die. And I remember the Beatitudes from Jesus' "Sermon on the Mount" in the book of Matthew. And had someone not taken off with my Bible, I could tell you exactly where these verses are, however, I digress - but in Matthew Jesus promises, "Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted." Interestingly enough he doesn't stipulate if that comforting will come here on Earth or if we have to wait until we get to Heaven someday. With so many suffering right now, I wonder just how busy in the Holy Spirit right now. I love his other name though as well, Jesus called him "The Comforter". It is amazing how much the Holy Spirit offers us calming peace and comfort in the midst of life's storms.

I know that for many right now it seems that life keeps throwing terrible curve balls, but take heart my friends. God promises that His grace is sufficient and that he will never leave us or forsake us. While it may not seem that way right now, I do know this, God is faithful and just as he can deliver us from unrighteousness, he can also relieve our pain.

May God's peace find you and his grace carry you through your trials my friends. Our family will continue to lift you in prayer and rejoice with you in your good times.


Love, In Christ,
Maureen

No comments: