Monday, September 27, 2010

IT'S FFFFAAAAAALLLLLLLL!!!!!!




IT'S FFFFAAAAAALLLLLLLL!!!!!!!


Okay by this point in time, if you are a friend on Facebook, then you have realized I love Fall. Actually, I woke up quite chipper this morning. . . it's true, I am a racist against Summer. I hate most everything about Summer. I hate being hot and sticky and sweaty. I hate that I can't snuggle next to Chris because it is entirely too warm to even touch each other, much less snuggle. I do enjoy flip-flops, because I can just slip them on and go - providing I am not doing any major walking, then I am forced to suffer with hot, sweaty feet, because I must wear sneakers to prevent spraining my ankle for the 5th time in 8 yrs. Fall however, brings so many wonderful things.


It brings cooler climates - which means a lower electric bill. It means the leaves begin to change colors (except for my developmentally challenged tree - which refuses to change colors like a normal tree because hey, I have a developmentally challenged child, it only makes sense I would have a developmentally challenged tree too.). It means our neighborhood begins to transform into a vibrant display of orange, red, gold, and brown leaves which the girls and I love looking at and admiring. But possibly one of the greatest things about Fall is that it means I can bring out my Twining Tea! I dearly love Twinings Tea - it is yummy and like sunshine in a cup. I drink it and for a brief time I am magically transported to my childhood and my Grandma Taylor is there serving soft boiled eggs and toast fingers. For a short while I am warmed from the inside out and can savor the lovely goodness that is Twinings Tea. I am partial to Irish Breakfast Tea, but I also enjoy their English Breakfast Tea as well.


I love that in the Fall, it becomes the time of year when you see pumpkins out on porches and children playing in sweatshirts and sweaters and yet their cheeks are rosy from exertion as opposed to turning red from heat stroke. I love watching my girls tromp through the leaves and jump in them. I love pulling out comforters and blankets, cold weather clothing and doing homework with Elizabeth or working on her math multiplication & addition tables and teaching her new sight words. I love snuggling under my latest "Aunt Nina quilt" with them and listening to them giggle at some cheesy holiday movie I've rented from Netflix. Fall means I can introduce my children to musicals, movie classics (John Wayne, anyone? How about "Yours, Mine & Ours?). I get the joy and pleasure of baking muffins, banana bread, pumpkin bread and cinnamon rolls with my girls, or letting them help make cookies.


Okay, I know there are some of you who won't agree, because you don't like to be cold. . . that's fine. I'm not a fan of a higher gas bill, but I love my lower electric bill. I am not in fact, a fan of driving on snow and ice when it seems that every person on the road wants to drive insanely fast, despite the fact, that common sense should dictate that you slow down. But with those things to the side - Fall brings change, an end to the year. New beginnings to look forward to and so many other wonderful things. Holidays and time with family, cold evenings at home laughing with Chris and the girls. . . an excuse to pull out all my favorite soup recipes or make a lovely pot of chili.



Last but not least it reminds us that while all good things must come to an end, that God's love never ends. It is unfailing and ever present, much as our Maker is himself. Only God could create a world where there are seasonal changes and things that may seem small and insignificant as changing leaves are really a reminder that God created an amazingly complex relationship between the plants and the seasons.


I hope you all have a good week and enjoy the new weather.

In Christ,

Maureen

No comments: