Monday, August 23, 2010

Tea, toast, quilts & Grandma


Tea, Toast, Quilts & Grandma

I have a friend who enjoys tea because it is soothing for her. I love that idea, because it is that and it's more. This got me thinking about my mom's mom, Grandma Taylor.


I've written about her before, but tonight she seems even more on my mind, thinking about tea, toast fingers, soft boiled eggs, and the quilt I have hidden away so my daughter's can't accidentally destroy it.


I am not normally a person who puts a lot of stock in things and keeping them safe. I tend to abide by the scripture in Matthew about storing up your treasures in Heaven. However, this quilt has many scaps that come from outfits that Grandma sewed for my brother, sister, mom, & myself AND herself. So when I see it and touch it, it's like I'm touching her and my childhood. Sentimental though it may be, it is true.
In thinking about these things it got me thinking about Grandma and the little things she did that showed us she loved us. She wasn't big on giving praise, because it wasn't how she was raised, not that she wasn't insanely proud of us all, but she showed her love in little ways. Like cooking soft boiled eggs and cutting up our toast into toast fingers so we could dip them in our yolk as small children, or giving us some of her tea, baking a favorite cake for one of us or sewing for us. Even though she longed to be different, and not so rigid and uptight, she could not change. Not because she didn't want to, I think it was just not in her. Some of us can change who we are, we work at it and yet others for whatever reason cannot. Often, not because they lack the desire, but because they don't know how to be anything other than what they were taught. Grandma grew up in England as a child and it was also the time where parents still thought that Dr. J.Watson was correct when he told parents to not show too much affection to their children because it spoiled them. Watson did not encourage affection or praise, and as a result many people grew up emotionally stunted. My grandma had great emotion, she was just reserved in showing them. I know she cried, laughed and loved, she cried sometimes when she didn't know we could see her, I know she loved me, because she sewed dresses and other clothing for me, she nagged me to try to help me. She meant well often, although, I with my teenage and young adult mind couldn't see that at the time. And I remember her laughing at us as children.
I look back at those things she taught me and realize that I am passing them on. I can't garden worth a darn, but she left me this. . . a love of tea, toast fingers, quilts and baking for my girls. It makes me miss her, and wish she were here this Fall to join me for a cup of Twinings tea. I wonder if she would enjoy it as much as I do. I know she would love Sarah, Elizabeth, & Rebekah and all the grandkids. She loved children, she loved us. And I think we are all the better for it. Even if that love meant nagging. ;)
Have a good week.
Love, in Christ,
Maureen

No comments: