Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Planning for Christmas? Already?!

Getting ready for Christmas? Already?!

Okay, I get it. The stores really want you to shop for Christmas, but why do they have to put Christmas decorations up the same time they put up Halloween decorations?! Of course, this means that whenever I take Lizzie or Beka with me to the store, they see said decorations and I get to hear them squeal with delight about how they can't wait for Christmas.


Now please understand. I really, really love Christmas. I mean I really do love it a lot. I get as excited as the kids do sometimes and I enjoy planning their presents, etc . . . What I don't enjoy is listening to talk about Christmas from October until February when it finally sinks into Lizzie's head that Christmas is over and done with and she needs to focus on something else. This year the thing she will be focusing on, is Disney World, and Daddy coming back from Iraq. So while I really do love Christmas, even I have a saturation point and I usually hit it about two weeks before it comes and in worst case scenarios - one month before it comes


So here we are, it's only the first part of November and Elizabeth is talking about presents. Now I would normally not be thrilled by this, except for this one thing. She isn't talking about what she wants, it's about her buying presents for her sister! Now that is a good feeling.


Obviously, this means I will end up spending a little more than I originally planned, but I will happily spend it in order for Lizzie to learn that it is more blessed to give than to receive. I will take her shopping, just her and I and we will find a gift for each of her sisters and one for Daddy to open when he gets home. So I think this Christmas will be wonderful. The girls are learning to give, they are learning to put others first, and more importantly, they are learning to keep Christmas talk to a minimum until tomorrow anyway.
I hope you all have a very nice day and a great week.
In Christ,
Maureen

No comments: