Thursday, October 29, 2009

Kids Say and Do the Darnedest Things


This is Rebekah. Rebekah has discovered her voice! She often imitates and repeats things that are adorable and of course, some things I wish she would repeat.
For example: Her new favorite phrase is either, "Mmm, that's good." Or, "Oh that's ewicious!" Of course, then there is the other day where while in the car she puts her hands on either side of her face as says, "oh Cwap!" I promise that phrase was not edited, it was not used as a replacement for another word that means poop, it was crap. Honest!
But I think my most favorite phrase of hers right now is, "I want to snuggle." First, because I love to snuggle with her. Second, because it's amusing to me that she uses this phrase most often when it is bed time and she is attempting to delay the inevitable downward slide into the Land of Nod.
This of course, got me thinking about all of my kids (and yes, this includes Sarah) favorite methods of procrastination when it comes to bedtime.
Beka always uses snuggling, drinks, a snack, and now although she isn't potty trained, has taken a page from her sister, Lizzie's book. "I have to go potty." The one I usually find the hardest is the one where she tells me she wants to snuggle. She's cute, little, and two yrs old. Tell me, how can I honestly decline snuggle time with this little cutie? The answer . . . I can't, so she gets snuggles and I get quiet. It's kind of a win, win for us both.
Lizzie, well Lizzie is getting rather creative these days. In the beginning it was the standard excuse. I need a night light, I need a drink, I need to go potty, etc . . . now though she's gotten rather good - she comes down and tells me that Beka is making her nuts! Now this might work if Beka were indeed upstairs with her, but to head this excuse off at the pass, I have started putting Beka to bed in the playpen in the living room. I think you can see how well that excuse works to help her - at the very least it amuses me.
Now Sarah - Sarah, Sarah, Sarah. Sarah's favorite way to put off bed is to come up with some insanely complex question about God, or life, or her own self esteem, etc . . . You get the picture. Don't get me wrong she uses the other old ones too sometimes, but mainly trying to wax philosophical was her favorite method of putting off going to bed. Now her way may have worked except there is one thing that was not in her favor. I am a morning person.
I don't mean I just prefer to wake up in the morning instead of half way through the day. I mean I wake up ready to go and often get out of bed and hit the ground running. So by the time bedtime rolls around for the girls, I am almost ready to go to sleep as well. Sadly, this means that her line of questioning only irks me instead of intriguing me. Then the next morning I have had time to sleep and I am ready to answer her questions, but she is a night owl and doesn't function well until after 10 a.m. so I think you can see our conundrum.
What are your kids favorite methods of putting of going to bed? I would love to hear them. So feel free to comment on Facebook or Twitter even and let me know.
Have a good week and a scary Halloween.
In Christ,
Maureen

No comments: