Sunday, June 28, 2009

A Good Choice

A few weeks ago, I found a good home for our dog, Sofie. She was cute and cuddly and I miss her very much, but I also know that I did the right thing. We were gone too much and too often and while I am not sorry we took her when we did, I am also not sorry I gave her to my friend, Gwyn.

Gwyn is a nice woman who lives a few houses away and who loved watching Sofie and having her snuggle with her on the few overnight visits we had to leave Sofie with her. She already has one dog and has had him for years. These are all signs that she can handle having a dog for a long stretch of time.

I on the other hand, am not a pet person. Don't get me wrong, I love animals - all animals and think they are some of God's most amazing handiwork. I also realize that I like animals better when they belong to other people.

So after missing Sofie like crazy I was able to see that I made the right choice, because she is filling out nicely and looking great. She loves playing with Maxwell, Gwyn's older dog and she loves snuggling with Gwyn at night. She is getting spoiled and has a big yard to play in and run in, and she never runs away from Gwyn. When she lived with us, she often ran over to her old home to visit her friends. Gwyn is a good owner and I know she will give Sofie, the loving home she deserves.

By the way, Sofie was beginning to fill out when she lived with us too, but it required me to treat her for heartworms and hookworms. Once we got those things taken care of, she began to gain weight. Now she has boundless reserves of energy like a dog who is only two years old should. I thought I should clear that up, but she has gained more weight since living with Gwyn. Gwyn will spoil her rotten and give her all the time and attention that I can't give to her.

Thank you God, for good people who are good with dogs. And thank you for giving me the wisdom to realize, that I am not one of them.
Amen.

No comments: