Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Working on renovating the living room

I have spent these past three weeks working on the house and here are some of the photos for you to enjoy. This is the semi-finished product. This one above is the the wall leading to the foyer.
This is the outer wall of our living room - it has what looks like a mini-turret window setting. The wood isn't painted yet, it's going to be painted white to contrast with the yellow. I love yellow - it's such a friendly and happy color. And below is a photo of Bud putting up the trim as a test run. We decided that we like it a lot so he's going to pick up a few more pieces and I have to finishe the wall where the couch is sitting and then this room is finished until Spring - there are two walls that have to be torn out and we have to reinsulate them and put in new firestops and then put in drywall (the walls are plaster and lathing right now).

This is the wall with the window that Bud has reframed. The wall has been primed in an antique white. If you look carefullyyou can see the difference between the starch white and the antique white.
This is the wall that is going up the stairs in our house and as you can see, it is crumbling. This is one of those quick fixes we are going to take care of for winter, but in the Spring we are going to have drywall and insulation put in to make the house more energy efficient.

This is Bud working on the window. I thought I'd show you the difference between the old wall color and the new wall color. Bud has done an amazing job and has helped a lot.

This is the beginning the painting process for the final color. I got up this morning and started at 9:30 a.m. and didn't finish until 4:30 p.m. That is my hand. I told Sarah to take a picture of me painting, but she missed me a bit, so I cropped myself out.

This is Bud working on priming the walls before we put on the color. He did a lot with the trim work and helping fix stuff. I have to say, it's help me a lot and I can't express how thankful I am to him. We are taking tomorrow off, because honestly, I am pooped out. I need a break. But it helps that the girls played with Beka and Sarah helped with some of the painting. Beka was a doll and was very good. She played in her crib while we needed her too, so she needs a day off just as much as I do.
This is once again the finished product. We will paint the wood white and put up the trim, then it will be mainly done.

I have to say, I think this is going to be my project to work on whilst Chris is deployed. In all honesty while this cost us about $200 to do, if I'd had known I could have spent about $400 in total to finish this room, that includes new wiring, insulation, framing, and drywall. Okay maybe $500, but that really isn't too bad in all. So I am going to work on purchasing what I need a little at a time and then we'll get to work on a room as the money is available. Oh and the tree, is our Christmas tree, but we had to forgo breakable items. So I made a paper chain and we had some plastic ornaments and there are lights on there. We won't put gifts under until the girls are asleep Christmas Eve, but in all I think it will be a good Christmas.
Chris will be home on Sunday and we are all excited to see him. Hopefully, we'll make it to church that day. I missed church this past week because I felt like death warmed over. I inhaled a lot of dust while sanding down the wood and it kicked my allergies into overdrive.
Either way, I want to make it to church. I really like our church and I miss it when I don't get to go. I hope you all have a great week. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
In Christ,
Maureen

No comments: